Rambling in Romania
- Stunning mountain and forest scenery
- Remote villages with a traditional way of life
- “Homestay” accommodation, full of character yet with all necessary facilities
- Painted Monasteries of Bucovina
- Two narrow gauge steam railways
- Historic city of Iaşi
- Many meals from locally sourced organic produce
- 10 days from £2,180pp
Monday 23 May to Wednesday 1 June 2022
UK’s Leading Specialist Operator to Romania
A combination of steam forestry railways and rambling (not too strenuous) in scenic Maramureş and Bucovina. Stay in family run “homestays” (en suite) and enjoy rural life in the company of a knowledgeable local guide.
Day 1 – Flight to Cluj Napoca
Afternoon flight from London for a late evening arrival in Cluj. Overnight hotel stay.
Day 2 – Maramureş
Morning drive over the Carpathians to our first homestay in the village of Hoteni from where, after lunch, we have a short easy walk to nearby Breb. 3 nights in Hoteni.
Day 3 – Botiza to Ieud
After a scenic drive to Botiza, a 3 to 4 hour walk takes us to Ieud with its UNESCO Heritage wooden church. The bus meets us here to return us to Hoteni.
Day 4 – Village Life
Exploring some of the local villages, we find old wooden churches, examples of domestic industry, machines powered by water and fields worked by hand or horses.
Day 5 – Merry Cemetery
A 3 hour walk from Breb to Deseşti is followed by a short drive towards Romania’s northern border from where we can see Ukraine across the river. We will also visit the famous Merry Cemetery where the gravestones have been painted by local artists to depict the lives of those who have passed away. Afternoon scenic drive to Vişeu de Sus for an overnight hotel stay.
Day 6 – The Last Forestry Railway in Europe
There is no road access to much of the Vaser Valley and so the timber is removed by train. We take a ride along the 20km route behind steam. BBQ lunch provided at the upper terminus. In the afternoon we drive over the Prislop Pass into Bucovina and our next homestay at Moldovita where we stay for 3 nights.
Day 7 – Moldovita Steam Railway
A former forestry railway now operated as a heritage line runs up the valley to Argel. We take the morning train and alight part way on the return run to enjoy a walk over the hills back to Moldovita. For those who prefer the train to the walk, it is possible to complete the train journey and omit the walk.
Day 8 – Painted Monasteries
We visit two of the famous painted monasteries and have another walk in this lovely area.
Day 9 – Iaşi
Driving east from Bucovina, we come to the historic and bustling university city of Iaşi – our last night in Romania. Our hotel is in the centre of the city and is ideal for sightseeing and for transport enthusiasts to enjoy the trams.
Day 10 – Iaşi to London
Transfer to airport for flight to London, arriving early afternoon.
Due to the limited number of rooms in “homestay” accommodation, this tour will be limited to 12 persons.
Grand Hotel Napoca, Cluj Napoca
Popica Guesthouse, Hoteni
Mirage Resort, Vişeu de Sus
Pensiunea Crizantema, Moldovita
Unirea Hotel, Iaşi
Please note - hotels can be subject to change
- Flights in Economy Class by scheduled airline
- Narrow gauge rail travel as specified
- Other travel by private mini-coach
- Hotel accommodation in Cluj, Vişeu de Sus and Iaşi
- Other accommodation in good quality guest house or family “homestay” with en-suite facilities
- All breakfasts, 7 lunches (some picnic) and 6 evening meals
- Admissions to monasteries and Merry Cemetery
- Airport and other transfers
- Services of a tour leader from London and throughout the tour plus local professional Romanian Guide
Price per person
|Single room supplement:||£285|
|Deposit for this holiday:||£200|
Download your tour booking form here.